Our vision and mission
We believe that journalism is crucial to fostering living democracies throughout Europe. We are dedicated to advancing independent and in-depth journalism across Europe that serves the public interest, furthers accountability as well as transparency, and contributes to critical thinking and well-informed debate.
We aim to promote and develop professional journalism in Europe in response to the challenges and opportunities stemming from increased digitalization, the internationalization of political, business and criminal power structures, as well as changing revenue models.
We promote in-depth, independent journalism and journalistic innovation through:
- Administering editorially independent journalism grants with funds from foundations and other non-profit organizations;
- Capacity-building through editorial advice and mentoring of grant recipients;
- Advising and coordinating investigative teams;
- Advising journalism academic and training programs; and
- Facilitating networking opportunities for investigative journalists and other key stakeholders.
Journalismfund.eu is a Belgian-registered independent non-profit organization originating from the Pascal Decroos Fund for investigative journalism. The Fund was set up in 1998 by family, close friends and colleagues of Decroos to commemorate and further the legacy of the Belgian journalist.
What we stand for is what Pascal Decroos stood for in word and deed. He was dedicated to investigative journalism. He was committed to creating opportunities to develop young journalistic talent and had an ability to bring people from different facets of society to dialogue and work together.
The journalism we stand for
The journalism we support is characterized by the two “I”s: in-depth and independent.
- In-depth journalism is fact-based, well-researched, uses the best available methods and respects the relevant professional, ethical, and legal rules.
- Independent journalism is credible because it is editorially independent from political, economic or other types of influence. Journalismfund.eu strives to provide the necessary structures to safeguard such editorial independence.
- Independent.We operate independently from any political or economic influences, donor or other interests. We respect the editorial independence of the journalists we work with.
- Transparent. Our board, staff members, partners and the general public know what we stand for, how we operate and make decisions. We ask those we work with to be equally transparent. We are aware that transparency in the context of investigative journalism can expose people to risk and are therefore mindful of our requirements.
- Collaborative. Collaboration empowers. It amplifies the impacts of journalists and journalism. Our willingness and ability to collaborate with key stakeholders in our field strengthens our strategies. Collaboration within and between our organizational structures strengthens our operations.
- Respectful.We are respectful of the different journalistic traditions and practices in Europe. At the same time, we strive to support the highest levels of professionalism and rigor. We handle the information we publish with care. Our internal policies and working culture foster respect towards those we serve and throughout all levels of our organization.
- Responsive. We act on the needs and interests of journalists. We adapt to changing external and internal opportunities and threats. We walk our talk.
- Innovative. We propagate new journalistic methods and skills. We encourage creative thinking and are willing to try new approaches.