Forensic speech science is an unregulated sector, suffering from the effects of privatisation and budget cuts. DJs or CD shop owners are acting as experts in courts, side by side with university professors with years of experience. Attempts by the EU to enforce quality standards are in a dead end. And there is division even within the expert community. Linguists and engineers disagree on methods, and the use of voice databases and consistent statistics is still limited.
The project’s database of court cases where voice recordings were used can be found here.
Journalist Michele Catanzaro won the 2016 European Science Writer of the Year award for this project.
Photo: Snapshots from a forensic speech laboratory © Gianluca Battista
Journalismfund.eu supported a working grant of 7,200, allocated on March 3th, 2015
Michele CatanzaroMichele Catanzaro (Rome, 1979) is a freelance journalist based in Barcelona (Spain). He has a PhD in physics and writes for Nature, El Periódico, Chemistry World and others.
Philipp HummelPhilipp Hummel is a Berlin-based freelance journalist with a special interest in science politics and investigative research.
Astrid Viciano is a German journalist and MD who works as a staff reporter at the weekend science section of Süddeutsche Zeitung in Munich, focusing on investigative cross-border projects regarding medical, scientific and social topics.
Elisabetta TolaElisabetta Tola is a journalist and science communicator. She lectures data journalism, science communication and multimedia at the Masters in Science Communication at Sissa, Trieste, and other journalism schools.
- ‘Forensische Phonetik: Stimmen vor Gericht‘ (DE) (January 14th, 2016 – Neue Zürcher Zeitung)
- ‘Wenn die Stimme vor Gericht versagt‘ (DE) (December 17th, 2015 – Stuttgarter Zeitung)
- Voice Analysis Should Be Used with Caution in Court (January 25th, 2017 – Scientific American)
- ‘Verdächtige Stimmen’ (DE) (November 19th, 2015 – DER SPIEGEL)
- ‘¿Què hi ha en una veu? (CAT) (November 8th, 2015 – El Periódico, Dominical)
- ‘¿Qué hay en una voz?’ (ES) (November 8th, 2015 – El Perioódico, Dominical)
- Senti chi parla (IT) – Radio 3 Scienza, 19 April 2016
- Online Database
- Quando l’intercettazione è ambigua (IT) – Le inchieste, La Repubblica, 13 April 2016
- ‘Speech forensics: when Hollywood seldom mirrors real-life court cases‘ (December 16th, 2015 – Euroscientist)
- ‘Kritische Blicke auf die forensische Phonetik‘ (DE) (December 11th, 2015 – Meta Magazin)
- ‘Verdächtige Stimmen‘ (DE) (November 19th, 2015 – SPIEGELONLINE)
- ‘¿Qué hay en una voz?‘ (ES) (November 11th, 2015 – elperiodico.com)
- ‘¿Què hi ha en una veu?‘ (CAT) (November 11th, 2015 – elperiodico.com)
- ‘Hearing Voices, periodismo contra la pseudociencia judicial‘ (ES) (November 10th, 2015 – Hipertextual)